Dr. Roshen, Naturopath on Hydration🚰
We all know the importance of proper hydration. However, it can easily be overlooked and it may not always be easy to hit your daily fluid goals. Water has many important roles in the body and it something that should be prioritized by anyone looking to better their health and performance.
During activity the body cools itself by sweating which can lead to dehydration if the fluid is not replaced. The amount of fluid loss will be dependent on factors such as temperature, humidity, exercise intensity and duration. This will vary between individuals, but knowing your sweat rate is important to determine how much fluid you should be drinking.
The amount and timing of fluid intake will depend on the individual and their given sport!
As your body starts to lose fluids, even mild dehydration can impair performance and increase risk of injury. If dehydration increases, it can lead to further symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, and gastrointestinal issues such as nausea and vomiting.
To get you started, here are some general tips to ensure you stay adequately hydrated:
1. Do not depend on thirst as it kicks in after a significant amount of fluid is lost
2. Do not make the mistake of hydrating only during or after exercise (See tip 4!)
3. Always make sure you are hydrated prior to exercise, as to reduce the risk of becoming dehydrated
4. Carry a water bottle with you at all times and spread intake throughout the entire day
5. Add ice, fruit, tea bags, or electrolytes to your water to make it more enticing and enjoyable
6. Water is the ideal drink during training sessions that are 60 minutes or less
How do I know I am drinking enough water?
Aim for pale-yellow, straw-coloured urine as a useful estimate of adequate hydration
What about sport drinks?
Sport drinks will provide fluids, electrolytes and simple carbs for energy – they are best used:
- for activity lasting longer than 60 minutes
- when significant sweating and fluid loss have occurred
If you have further questions or concerns, you can book an appointment with Dynamic Health and Performance's naturopath, Dr. Roshen! Call our front desk at (905) 339-2333.