This week's Workout Wednesday features Squats!
About Off Season Golf Training
Golfers! Winter is here and that means it’s time to train. This Workout Wednesday, our Titleist Performance Institute Certified Chiropractor Dr. Jeff Belgue demonstrates three squatting patterns to add to your Winter Golf Strengthening Program that will help deliver power to the golf ball on impact!
Like the dead lift, squatting patterns are another way to develop posterior chain strength. Focus on using your glutes and achieving hip extension at the top of the movement. Strong glutes and the ability to drive into hip extension will help you deliver your power to the golf ball at impact. Take note of the single leg and plyometric progressions.
How To Perform This MotionSquat
1. Focus on keeping your neck and back in neutral
2. Brace your core
3. Start with a small hip hinge and then drive your glutes down and backwards
4. Squeeze your glutes and drive your hips up and into extension back to the start position
Single Leg Squat
1. Start in single leg stance, flex your knee and hip of your opposite leg
2. Neutralize your neck and back
3. Brace your core
4. The movement starts with a small hip hinge, then sit your glutes down to the bench
5. Squeeze your glutes and extend your hip back to the starting position
6. Focus on not allowing your stance leg to collapse inward
1. To help train power development and a more athletic golf swing add a jump to the end of the squat
2. Maintain balance and form during the movement
3. Land softly