Today's Fitness Friday features the Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch.
About the Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch
Hip flexors are a group of muscles near the top of your thighs that are key players in moving your lower body. They allow you to walk, kick, bend, and swivel your hips. Therefore, a hip flexor strain can be mildly uncomfortable. Regular stretches, such as the Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch, can help keep your hip flexors loose and prevent injuries.
The Lunging Hip Flexor Stretch assists in stretching your anterior hip musculature, including your psoas, reduces tension in the hip and encourages full range of motion.
- Begin in a half kneeling position using something to help you stay balanced.
- With your leg straight behind you and your foot up on your toes, gently lunge forward until you feel a stretch in the front of your hip.
- Hold the stretch for 1-2 seconds and then gently return to the starting position.
- Repeat ten times per leg.
- Note that the stretch should be pain-free and discontinued if pain arises.