Today's Fitness Friday features the Lateral Step Up.
About the Lateral Step Up
The Lateral Step Up is the ideal exercise for sports such as hockey where the athlete performs a lateral push off.
This exercise assists with balance and strengthening later stabilizers in the hip.
- Place one foot flat onto a stair laterally, ensuring your toes are in line.
- Hinge your hips backwards and engage your glutes as you drive your head up towards the ceiling to step up.
- Squeeze your glutes at the top and engage your core.
- Hinge your hip backwards then bend the knee to return to the original position.
- Note: Ensure you push your hips back to reduce how far your knee goes over your toes.