Today's Fitness Friday features the Banded Bird Dog.
About the Banded Bird Dog
The Banded Bird Dog is a core exercise that challenges the strength of your posterior chain.
This exercise encourages core strength and stabilizes the spine, particularly the lumbar region that supports most of the body. It also improves posture control, aligns the spine, reduces lower back pain and strengthens the shoulder muscles while working on cross chain movement patterns.
- Tie one loop of the TheraBand around each foot and hold the other ends in each hand.
- Begin in a quadruped position with your hands underneath your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Reach one hand and the opposite leg towards the ends of the room. Try to become as long as you can.
- Ensure you engage your core to prevent the back from arching, or swaying/twisting your hips.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- Don't have a band? No problem! This exercise can still be conducted to encourage core strength.